Many of you may be wondering what is self-care and if it’s another chore/duty who has time for it. Self-care is taking the time to do something for yourself. Many of us are mom’s, wives, caregivers for aging parents, employees, business owners, ministry leaders, volunteers etc. The list is endless and daunting at times and for many years I allowed everything to take priority over me.
When I made my vision board it helped me to see the things I wanted to make a priority, it has become a reminder to really change the rhythm in my life. Still this obviously takes planning. Some days I am so tired I don’t want to do anything for myself or anyone else but I am learning to schedule time for me. As I write this I honestly feel a twinge of guilt although I know this is important. Taking time for myself makes my life so much richer, my family happier, and I even find my prayer and study time is sweeter when my schedule is not jam-packed with stuff. Do you make time for yourself? What can you say no to or take off your plate? What do you enjoy doing? Making ME a priority along with all my other hats I wear is a balancing act but well worth the sacrifice.
Here are some examples of things I do/want to do for myself:
- Exercising-6 weeks in and I feel energized for the day (if I work out in the morning)
- Extended Uninterrupted Quiet Time – just me and Jesus
- Visiting via a phone call with a friend (usually on my way home from work)
- Listening to Music
- Reading a good book, Magazines
- Making Soap, body care products – working now to get back into a routine
- Doing my hair amidst busy weekends
- Makeup-making a concerted effort to create time in the morning for a fresh face of makeup
- Spending time with girlfriends (I have an outing this weekend planned – only took us 6 months to plan but it’s progress, wooo hooo!)
- Spending time alone – no tv, no social media just me and my thoughts (this is one of my favorite things to do)
- Planning my week- (putting to use my planners, yes I know its nerdy)
- Eating healthier
- Laughing more
- Maintaining my blog regularly
Let’s commit to taking care of our needs as well as the needs of others! How are you going to make you a priority? If you are already there please enlighten us on how you do it?