Goodbye…Hello

I know I have been missing in action the past few weeks; I have been in a constant flux of transition which has me in deep thought, and very contemplative. As it seems I am transitioning in almost every area of my life I wanted to share what I am learning about myself.

• Being too comfortable leads to complacency and self-doubt. I started to question every decision I made and I knew I needed to do something to challenge myself and to step out on faith. I made the very difficult decision to leave my old job of almost 14 years; I gave myself a deadline and if I hadn’t found a new job I was still leaving. GULP. That was scary and my self-doubt went into over drive! I did find another job rather quickly after I made up my mind I was leaving my old job no matter what. I am super excited to be starting a new chapter, but I knew I needed time to process the reasons I had to leave and also process why I stayed so long.  I was STUCK!  It is all very complex to say the least.

• In this new season I am learning that fear isn’t a bad thing when it comes to making changes or challenging yourself to new things. I haven’t started a new job in over 16 years ( I was a stay at home mom for a few years) but I am doing it SCARED! I am learning something new about myself daily and I like it, even when I am frustrated or feeling doubtful I am also filled with anticipation to see where God will lead me next. I have told myself even if it turns out this isn’t a perfect fit that’s okay too I can begin again. I have learned that I must always have boundaries in every area of my life with my job, ministry, and family. (especially work)

• My son turned 18 today! The time is going by so fast it takes my breath away.  We have spent 17 birthday’s with him as a family but this birthday he wanted to go out to dinner with just his friends. OUCH!  I would be lying if I said that it didn’t sting a little  (well a lot)! Transition. Aaron will be graduating from high school this year and onto Culinary school. We can see the finish line to the empty nest season  WOO HOO!  I am filled with mixed  emotion though, at times I want to savor every moment while also imagining a time with just me and Michael NO KIDS. Aaron is the youngest, hard to believe we have gone through this process twice and it hasn’t gotten any easier.

• The last few months our parents (my mom and Michael’s dad) have had some health challenges which makes us increasingly aware that our aging parents need us more. I don’t know if you have every looked at your parents and realize they are visibly getting older and may need you to remind them that they are still valuable even if they can’t do what they used to physically, that you still need them and you value their wisdom.

I am learning that Goodbye’s aren’t always bad and Hello’s can be super scary! I am embracing this new season with all it’s turns, pot holes,  and surprises as I anticipate what the Lord is showing me and leaning into the new assignment He has given me.

Goodbye and Hello…TRANSITION

Are you in a season of transition? What are you learning through the process?

I have a lot planned for the blog in the next few weeks stay tuned!

What are some topics you would like see?  What would you like to see more of? Sound off in the comment section!

1. Your lifetime friend
    November 1, 2017 / 7:34 am

Transition, the word I have a love/hate relationship with at times. As I always say, God has such a wonderful sense of humor. I never wanted to move back to Jacksonville and said I wouldn’t unless I was married (be careful). Well, when God has a plan it will come to pass. He wanted me back in Jacksonville, so after I got married He placed a desire in my now ex-husband’s heart to move here. Wait, what!!!! Where did that come from? God is funny that way… Very long story short – He will use anything and anybody to get you to the next season of your life. Think about it like this, has it ever occurred to you that nothing occurs to God? The surprises of our lives are already known to Him because He knows the end from the beginning. So with every twist and turn, every transition, I’ll just say Yes, Lord! I now fully know why he had to relocate me. Wow, His plans are perfect.

November 1, 2017 / 2:22 pm

Wow nothing occurs to God! I love it! Yes His plans are perfect!

2. Khylah
    November 1, 2017 / 7:37 am

Thank you for sharing this Karen! Faith is so easy when applied in some areas and terribly difficult to muster in other areas. Very inspiring!

November 1, 2017 / 8:38 pm

Khylah, Yes! EXACTLY!

3. Theresa
    November 1, 2017 / 9:00 am

I love this! Thank you for sharing 🙂
    I can identify with what you are saying regarding transition. It can definitely be scary but necessary. Complacency can lead to so many things and I believe one major area is a just a lack of self growth. Other people call being in one place for so long loyalty (and in some cases it can be good – if its the right place), but not when it affects your own personal growth, spiritual and mental/physical health.

I only have one daughter and as she’s finishing up her last year and half of college, I definitely feel the heaviness of being a completely empty nester 🙁 I love the fact that she’s growing up to be a functioning member of society, taking on new responsibilities, and becoming her own woman . . . but my heart strings are definitely tugging.

It’s was definitely nice to see your new post this morning! Welcome back.

Some possible topics:
    What do you think of the Kiss My Face olive oil soap? Have you ever used it?
    I would love to see some vegan/vegetarian recipes or favorite websites/youtube channels you like. 🙂

November 1, 2017 / 8:36 pm

Hey Theresa! Glad to be back! Honey OMG #PREACH YES!!!! Now let me clarify I am sad as my son is growing up and he’s not my little boy anymore BUT…Ma’am I am not sad about being and empty nester. I look forward to having food in the fridge for more than 5 minutes or walking around naked if I want to lol. Just spending time with just me and my husband sounds amazing! I will miss him but…I think we will be fine lol lol lol.

I love the topics listed! It’s funny because the recipe sharing is something I have been planning as well as my favorite/bloggers and vloggers so girl we are on the same page. I used to love Kiss My Face hair gel but have never tried any of their other products. Since I have been making soap again I haven’t tried any store bought soap. Thanks for always sharing your heart!

• Theresa
        November 1, 2017 / 8:45 pm

Yes! Girl. I definitely do enjoy NOT having to close my door all the time. Now it’s just the dog who busts into the room! Lol

I feel you on the food thing… that girl could definitely eat .

Can’t wait for the new posts!!’

4. Tyfanni Penn
    November 1, 2017 / 9:13 am

Karen thanks for sharing. Your post gave me a lot to think about- including perspective. Keep writing about whatever is placed on your heart. I love you!

November 1, 2017 / 8:26 pm

Hey Tyfanni! Thanks for always being so encouraging love you too!

5. Mander
    November 1, 2017 / 9:51 am

I am soooooo excited for you in all the new transitions taking place! 🙂 You know that I’m starting an adventure similar to yours as well, so I’m looking forward to the personal growth that is coming. I’m also nervous about the big changes ahead, but learning to breathe and enjoy the moment. Love you!!

November 1, 2017 / 8:25 pm

Hi Mander! Yes we have to encourage one another as we step into the next stage of our loves and yes ENJOY the moment!

6. Janice Davis
    November 1, 2017 / 11:30 am

I’m waiting for my son to complete his studies (121617) at the Great Bethune-Cookman University so I can enjoy my next journey.. My daughter is amazingly lady and very responsible smart adult (single too) As I looked back, I thank God for new journies and I was scared too when I started a new job three years ago… But God…. I realized chapters will open up and some will come to an end…. However, I will strive to enjoy everyday of my remaining days on earth… God is greatly to be Praise

7. Karen's Essentials
    November 1, 2017 / 8:23 pm

Hey Janice thanks for sharing I see I am not alone girl you can see your life and dreams on the horizon!

November 16, 2017 / 8:19 pm

Well in 2 years I’ll be retired and I’m not sure what my next journey will be. I’ve worked for almost 35 years, and not having a job is scary for me. I’m praying for God to guide me and help me to be ready for my next season. I’ve always been afraid of change but as I get older I’m finding out change is good. So I pray that God will allow me to live to see the next chapter of my life.
    I enjoy everything you write so whatever you decide I’m sure will bless all of us.