Doing What You Love #3

Khylah Settle (Model, Actress)

How did you get started (acting and modeling)?

I grew up taking ballet, tap and jazz and performed in school plays all the way through high school. I loved it, but somehow talked myself out of majoring in the Fine Arts in college. I was afraid. So I majored in Communications and dabbled in dance and performing on the side. At 30, I gathered the courage to submit my photos to an acting manager. I was signed not long after.

What Inspires you?

Anyone who is passionate about their craft, hobby, children etc., is an inspiration, people who tell fear where to go and how to get there truly inspire me to do the same.

How do you handle work life balance?

This is a great question, especially considering how often the target moves. As soon as I get into a flow, there is another curve ball. Honestly, I pray that God gives me the strength to get from one day to the next. We also enlist the help of family members to pinch hit. It truly takes a village. I’m just reaching a point where I truly understand the need for fun and a little pampering. I deserve it!

What are your goals for your acting and modeling career?

I would love to get to a place where I could eliminate my 9-5. We have 3 children in school, so I need to be mindful of our family obligations and finances. I still have a career in communications, so I will consider myself a successful actress and model, once I can sustain regular work and income. I’m planting seeds, so we are gonna let God handle the timing.

My job is to be prepared for opportunities that arise. I’ve been very lucky to work for people who encourage my acting and modeling and get a kick out of seeing my commercials and print work. I can’t complain.

Are there any community connections and advice that you would like to share?

If people are interested in acting, read up on the craft, study, talk to other actors. Take some improv classes or acting classes. Don’t lose your life savings investing in expensive photos or classes all upfront. Get your feet wet first. Use money from jobs to reinvest in your craft. The acting community is a truly wonderful group of people especially here in the D.C. metro. We are each other’s biggest fans and cheer each other’s victories. Also, understand that time is valuable. When you ask someone for their advice, know that many, many people ask those same questions. Be mindful of their time. I said I was gonna start charging people lol!

What new projects are you working on?

I have an on-camera industrial project coming up. I’ve done a number of corporate training videos and informative industrials. I have a thing for teleprompter work. It’s easy and I play a pretty good “corporate executive” really well LOL! I also have a voice over project in the works. Keep em coming!

What’s next for you?

I did a short film a few months back that just won an award at a Christian Film Festival. If I had my druthers, filming the feature length version would be NEXT! Aside from that, just maintaining a functioning home with a husband, 3 children and careers is enough.

Khylah Settle

Khylah Settle

Khylah Settle

Where can we find you?

You can find me on Instagram, FaceBook and YouTube

YouTube- Khylah Settle

September 18, 2017 / 8:27 am

Great article! Enjoyed reading this. Praying for favor for this young lady. Keep your head up and keep believing that God is faithful! God bless you!

September 19, 2017 / 11:02 am

Thank you! I have enjoyed doing this series so far! Khylah is a go getter she is a great example of women juggling and wearing many hats but making their families their first priority!

2. Theresa
    September 18, 2017 / 9:56 am

Hey, Enjoyed the article!!

Beautiful pictures. My husband noticed you and your family in a Williamsburg commercial one time. 🙂

Wow and I always think those are “real” bankers in those ads LOL! You do a phenomenal job!

I’ve always wanted to get into voice overs, but never knew where to start. Do you have any suggestions as to where I could start? Should I look at specialized training or anything? I believe there is a school in DC that trains for voice over talent.

• Khylah
      September 19, 2017 / 7:58 pm

Hello Theresa!

Thank you so much! We had a ball filming the Williamsburg commercial. I highly recommend doing a little research on voice over techniques. There is so much information on tone, style of delivery and breathing. Read articles, blogs and watch videos. I also recommend pulling some copy(scripts) from a few different styles of radio spots. Record it on your smart phone or recording device and play it back. You will be really uncomfortable at first, but it gets better lol! Practice!! From there, start looking at castings on websites such as Taylor Royal, Carlyn Davis, Pat Moran and CastingNetworks.com. I usually do a quick read, record it on my phone and submit. Good luck!!

• Theresa
        September 19, 2017 / 10:12 pm

Thank you so much! I’ve done one radio ad for WAVA (in 1 take :), the welcome video for Woodstream Academy and announced names at graduations . . . I have completely fell in love with voice overs. When I listen to the Radio, I’m always mimicking what the announcers are saying and trying to copy their tone. I will take your advice and look into these avenues! Thank you, Thank you and Thank you again!

Karen and THANK YOU TOO!!!

September 20, 2017 / 8:01 am

Hey you’re welcome! This is exactly why I wanted to do this series to network, encourage and cheer one another on and support these women and their businesses!

3. September 18, 2017 / 12:40 pm

Woohoo! Great spotlight on an industry that some know little to nothing about but where diversity is truly needed…..congrats Khylah!

September 19, 2017 / 11:08 am

Hi Kiva! I know right I learned a lot from talking to Khylah just a little glimpse of the industry and there are so many different directions you can go within the industry I found it fascinating!

• Khylah
      September 19, 2017 / 7:59 pm

Thank you Aunti!! I thoroughly enjoyed your piece as well.

4. Danita
    September 18, 2017 / 8:27 pm

Khylah you rock…keep pressing…very inspirational in that you can revive your dreams even when they’ve been dormant for awhile!!!

September 19, 2017 / 11:10 am

She certainly is an inspiration when you still have the desire and you abandon fear and DO IT SCARED! YES!

• Khylah
      September 19, 2017 / 8:08 pm

Thank you Danita. I’ve thought about quitting several times, but I’ve worked hard and it has all been worth it! Auditions are no joke, but the YES’ are worth the 100 NOs that preceded them. We will keep the train moving God willing.

5. September 20, 2017 / 10:06 am

Such a great mix of talent, beauty and grace. So lucky to have you as a friend and can cheer each other on with our big and crazy ideas. Love you to pieces!