Let’s Talk Menopause

I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago because I had painful periods that lasted for weeks that were caused by fibroids. I put off the surgery for years but my quality of life was deteriorating; so I had the surgery. Everything was removed except half of one of my ovaries which my doctor said would keep me from going straight into menopause after the surgery. I felt like a brand new person after 3 weeks.  I felt such freedom no period, no feminine products to purchase, no possibility of my clothes being ruined; and no getting pregnant life was great!

I was so excited with this new found energy; menopause wasn’t  even on my radar; I thought well that’s years down the line and how bad can it really be.  The changes were very subtle at first but then quickly went into overdrive! This is what I have experienced so far going through the “change” the last 2 years:

• It started with mood swings similar to PMS but times 10 worse and the crazy thing is I didn’t know what was happening; why was I so moody especially since I didn’t really experience this when I had a period
  • I have talked about my struggle with my weight gain especially belly fat associated with menopause, and slow metabolism
  • Forgetfulness is the worse like I can be in mid sentence and forget what I am talking about or forget a word like I am in a fog so frustrating
  • The HELL FLASHES I have never in my life experienced such intense heat, body on fire from the inside out so intense that you feel like you are going to faint you are so hot. My husband has driven my car in the dead of winter and has asked “did you have your air on in your car” me: blank stare
  • Lets not forget the night sweats! Waking up at 2 am drenched, pajamas, pillow, sheets all drenched waking up my husband so we can change the linen on the bed
  • Making my husband freeze with the ceiling fan and the balcony door open and it’s 30 degrees outside I wake up and he is sleeping in his robe and a wool hat with the covers over his head
  • Exhaustion from you guessed it having HELL FLASHES all night
  • With hot flashes there are also bad hair days especially for those of us that wear straight hair styles (my hair is curly 99% of the time) going through this I would never straighten my hair the style would literally sweat out

I have no real remedies for any of this but I have found some things that make it more tolerable and some other things I would like to try.

• Limit Spicy Foods spicy food seems to trigger hot flashes for me
  • Ice cold next to my bed (in an insulated commuter mug stays cold all night)
  • Personal little fan on your night stand (ceiling fans work in a pinch) but that cool air directly on you helps
  • Exercise regularly helps me rest better at night
  • Wicking bedding wicks away moisture from your body (haven’t tried yet)
  • Wicking pajamas (haven’t gotten any yet)
  • Keeping my doctor in the loop to help me manage my symptoms

Menopause SUCKS! There is no pretty little bow at the end of this post unless any of you know of a cure!

Have you started menopause? What is the worst part? Are you experiencing anything I didn’t mention? Has your sex drive been affected? (thankfully mine hasn’t) Is it as bad as you thought it would be?  What has helped you through all of the changes? If you aren’t there yet does this scare you? Would you consider Hormone Replacement Therapy (my doctor is against it she says the risks are too high). Let’s Chat!

1. Your lifetime friend
    August 2, 2017 / 8:26 am

The worse (the only words I have)!!! For those who consume alcohol in some form, that is a trigger and I also heard and believe that sugar is too. I’m done, having one now, ughhhhhh

August 2, 2017 / 8:48 am

There are no words! It’s like what I imagine hell will feel like lol the worse is right! My mom still has hot flashes so I don’t know when and if it ends UGH!

2. Angela
    August 2, 2017 / 12:38 pm

Let me just say that in 2009 my life changed, when I had my hysterectomy and I have not looked back once. I suffered from excruciating menstrual cycles for most of my adult life. I suffered from Menopause Symptoms and reactions, for about 2 years after my surgery, but since then I have minor reactions. Sometimes its hot flashes, sometimes its night sweats, and sometimes its bad mood swings. But all in all, I have suffered with the weight gain and uncontrollable swings in appetite. The one thing I learned about menopause is there are triggers (for me its chocolate and caffeine and you have to be diligent in what you eat, what you drink and how much exercise you get. There are all sorts of ways to function within this time but at the end of the day, all we have is management, and not fix or cure. Menopause is the DEVIL and those who suffer, no matter the magnitude still have a journey not to be traveled lightly.

August 3, 2017 / 8:40 am

It seems we all have similar triggers and its important to know what they are and to avoid them if we can yes menopause is the devil indeed lol!

August 2, 2017 / 6:09 pm

I’m dealing with the menopause and it’s tough. I know when I eat sweets, chocolates, salty things like chips, popcorn, etc the hot flashes come quickly. I’m trying hard to cut out sweets but I haven’t been successful as of yet. I have cut out chocolates and have cutback on chips but the days I crave my salty things I just give in and suffer on the back end. Lol! I try not to use ceiling fans because it dries out my eyes. I’m praying it gets better.

August 3, 2017 / 8:38 am

Yes it is tough no doubt it seems the things we love to eat are the things that trigger the hell flashes! I think we all share your sentiments in praying it gets better lol!

4. Danita
    August 3, 2017 / 9:20 pm

Just crossed over into the “peri” portion of this change and I’m already eagerly awaiting the “post” menopausal portion. Being a woman is certainly not for the weak. HOWEVER, if I have to give up chocolate then I’m putting all of you on notice that I am requesting that our almighty God sound the trump and crack the sky

August 4, 2017 / 3:22 pm

LOL Yes honey we need you Lord!

5. CurleyKai
    August 4, 2017 / 7:42 pm

Night time attire, shorts and midriff top! An understanding hubbie, “I’m hot, I’m cold, I’m hot, I’m cold” AND REPEAT!

August 7, 2017 / 7:54 pm

Yep I feel you! I love the night time attire must try!

6. Tyfanni Penn
    September 4, 2017 / 12:08 am

Sista Gal, menopause is dreadful. I had an hysterectomy five years ago and had my Physican remove everything forcing menopause. I tried adding soy to my diet, black cohosh, and some cream I got from Whole Foods that supposedly reduces hot flashes-NOT.

I have hormone replacements (I needed a combination of estrogen and prestogen). Trust me when I tell you I am nothing nice if I allow myself to be adventurous and run out to try a natural product.

I want to try the things you mentioned about bedding and pajamas.

September 4, 2017 / 8:57 am

Hey Tyfanni! Honey dreadful indeed! Thanks for subscribing to the blog welcome to the family!