Weigh In Wednesday?

Where Are You Metabolism?

Well, I had my physical last week and learned a lot about what may be slowing down my weight loss. It helps to have a doctor that’s so easy to talk to and so thorough. My appointment was no different from any other physical I have had over the years; accept the nurse is well, a little different.  Nurse “Newbie” had me get on the dreaded scale and to my surprise I was under 160, 156 to be exact. She continued with the rest of my vitals including my blood pressure which she did last. Nurse Newbie took my pressure and it was very high (my blood pressure is always well within the normal range). The first time she took my pressure it was 164 over 80 or something crazy I told her I never have had any issues with elevated blood pressure. Nurse Newbie told me “close your eyes and think happy thoughts let the weight of my day just melt away”.  I think I rolled my eyes, not positive but I am pretty sure I might have. She left the room and the machine took my pressure 3 more times over the span of 7 minutes. When she came back I was scrolling on my phone she told me that my phone may have elevated my pressure. GIRL, I will wait for the doctor.

Dr. C came in and continued with the exam she was concerned about my blood pressure but would have me come back in a few weeks to re-check my numbers. She asked about my concerns and I almost begged her to HELP me with this weight loss slump. I told her I am exercising, eating whole foods (meaning fruits, veggies and whole grains), not a lot of processed food, drinking water, etc. She told me I was being way too hard on myself! She gave me the cold hard facts:

As women age the harder it is to lose weight. Your body doesn’t burn fat and calories like it used to (duh).  The metabolism also slows down as we age (believe me I know). What I didn’t know after age 20 your daily energy or ability to burn calories drops about 150 calories a decade;  you lose muscle mass and gain fat! This change becomes evident when you hit 50. If I could burn 2,000 calories when I was 20 , now that I am 50 I maybe only burning 1500 calories per day (that extra 500 calories is weight gain). Weight loss for women over 50 doesn’t just depend on the calories that are ingested each day but also on the level of your activity. The ideal formula is to exercise enough to burn 500 calories per day to lose 1 pound per week. The most shocking thing I learned was this may not be enough, as we get older and I quote “you have to make DRASTIC changes like: no bread, rice, pasta, and or very little to no refined sugar”. I may have to give up something every year as I get older. She said that’s why old people don’t have a lot of variety in their diet they had to give up everything. YIKES! I was reminded that I am menopausal which affects your hormone level and  your body is trying to adjust to the changes that may cause weight gain or very slow weight loss. Oh yeah I did get a parting gift during my visit; a referral for my very first colonoscopy! OH JOY! Don’t get me wrong I am grateful for each day I am given but the struggle is real.

The good news is by losing weight slowly (yep that’s me) you will more likely keep it off because your body doesn’t have to try and adjust to rapid weight loss (rapid weight loss isn’t a good thing) you are prone to gain it all back and then some.

Do you ever get frustrated with this whole aging  process? How do you combat the aches and pains while working out?

1. Your lifetime friend
    June 7, 2017 / 8:17 am

My meager two cents ($.02)…forget the weight loss and concentrate on eating well and feeling Good! Should we really care about a few pounds here and there as we age when we are blessed to be alive and still able to make lasting memories? In the words of Sweet Brown, “Ain’t nobody got time for that.” Do what feels good and don’t “sweat” (pun intended) the other stuff. #LiveLoveLaugh
    My lifetime quote has been, “Every day above ground is a good day!” So embrace those pounds, aches, and pain….

June 7, 2017 / 8:33 am

Hey there! No truer words spoken. Taking it one day at a time so grateful that I am still here! I just want to be in the best possible health that I can be it’s not just a vanity thing it’s a health thing as well. Both my parents are/were diabetics and my mom has a high blood pressure that added weight doesn’t help. I promise I am good! It’s just going to take time!
      I almost put your quote in the blog post because that is exactly how I feel. I AM HERE!

• Your lifetime friend
        June 7, 2017 / 8:39 am

Girlfriend, you know I know you’re good!!!! My response is merely for those who may read and needed a little spin and extra encouragement cause we are all in this thing together and fighting to stay fit. Shoot, my flat stomach ain’t flat no mo

June 7, 2017 / 8:45 am

Thank you for your encouragement! yes ma’am we are in this together! You so crazy lol lol!

2. Ann Harrell
    June 7, 2017 / 9:09 am

Yes, the struggle is real. Yesterday, my allergist informed me that I am allergic to potatoes and lemons. I’ve eaten these foods all my life. Why now? She said that for some women who are pre-menopausal, such as myself, late-in-life allergies is not uncommon. Given the challenges with my weight, I’m guessing God is giving me a kind reminder to lay off the chips and fries. 🙂

June 7, 2017 / 9:23 am

Isn’t that interesting how our bodies change so drastically. Fries are my weakness, well if I am honest all carbs are my weakness. 🙁 Thanks for weighing in Ann!

June 7, 2017 / 12:43 pm

No pasta, sugar, sweets, chips?!? Oh nooooooooo please say it ain’t so. Living healthy is a struggle but we should take it one day at a time. LiveLaughandbeHappy. Love you!

June 7, 2017 / 3:34 pm

Gril OK! She didn’t say I had to do that but something to consider. I won’t completely give it all up but I will cut way back. Love you too!

4. Val
    June 7, 2017 / 4:30 pm

So appreciate reading your message today. Here I am at the vet with my dog today. I even put him ahead of me for a check up! Going to schedule a looong overdue doctors appt and find out what’s going on in this body of mine. Thanks!

June 8, 2017 / 9:14 pm

Yes we tend to take care of everyone else and we get whatever is left over which often times isn’t much! Self care is vital so we can also take care of the people we love. I am so glad this post encouraged you to see your doctor! I was supposed to have my physical in January so I was way over due!

5. Theresa
    June 7, 2017 / 4:31 pm

I am so happy you got under that 160 plateau! That’s awesome. 🙂

Right before I turned 40, I was in very good shape..did Insanity work out and had quite a lot of motivation, but life happened. Due to some personal and family issues, I gained most of the weight back. It hasn’t been easy getting the weight back off, but I’m committed to it every day. I still like Starbucks every now and then, but instead of the grande or venti I’ll get a tall or I eat smaller portions with healthier choices. It’s those small changes that I know will produce lasting results without feeling deprived.

June 8, 2017 / 8:31 pm

Hi Theresa! Good for you stay committed one day at a time! You will get there small changes! Thanks for the encouragement!

6. CurleyKai
    June 7, 2017 / 9:19 pm

Yes the struggle is real. Now that I am in my 60s I’ve seen all kinds of changes, some that were the subject of jokes on the golden girls! LOL. One is when you lean forward look down and look in the mirror your whole face goes forward! LOL! Ok… now when I pray in church I close my eyes but don’t lean my head forward. Lord, I pray is ok with that 🙂

I did lose 30 lbs last year and gained 10 back but you have inspired me to get back on track, thank you.

What I have found works for me, is a protein breakfast, balanced lunch (Protein of choice, fruit or complex carb and veggie), dinnerish…..Yogurt, almonds, grapenuts, with Truvia for sweetner and whipped cream (satisfies, my crunchy, my sweet, my protein) and not to eat after 6 most of the time. I’m not a huge pasta person but I do love potatoes. I weighed myself everyday, I know that is frowned upon but for me, that is the only way I hold myself accountable…. when I weighed myself once a week, I found myself eating larger portions etc and then trying to eat less as I got closer to my to weigh in day. Everybody is different. In any event, don’t get discouraged, focus on the health aspects and try to find some humor in the changes.

I saw Giada De laurentiis at Food and Entertainment show downtown a few years ago. Italian Chef, big as a minute…. Someone asked her “how do you eat all the Italian food and stay so tiny?” She said “I eat on small plates and seconds are for tomorrow!” Duh…. Simple but for me not easy to do. If it’s good, it is hard not to go for seconds. I got the little plate down…. it is the seconds! LOL

oh and for lower back old injury from squats, when my lower back hurts, I’ve been using a mixture of essential oils in a roller ball directly on the area and put my legs up on a pillow at night.

June 8, 2017 / 8:35 pm

Wow thanks so much for sharing! Humor helps we have to be able to laugh at ourselves! We do the smaller plates have for years and it really does help! I love Giada! Great tip to relieve back pain! What essential oils do you use?