Essential Natural Hair Tools

High School Senior Pic 1984

I didn’t get my first relaxer until I was 17 years old and a senior in high school, up until then I got my hair pressed when I wanted to wear it straight. I got my hair relaxed regularly (every 6 weeks) until I was 40 years old.  I would occasionally cut all my hair off and wear it natural but I kept it very short (twa) teeny weeny afro. Once I decided that I was never going to relax my hair again I developed a routine that worked for me and part of that was having the right tools. Here are the tools that I can’t live without.

The Q-Redew, http://qredew.com is a hand held steamer, I use it to detangle my hair the steam literally melts tangles away and makes detangling a breeze. I also use it with my deep conditioner to add the heat and additional moisture before I add my conditioning cap. The Q-Redew is great when I need to add moisture to my hair without wetting my hair. They have awesome customer service, sales frequently and I have had mine for years.

Q-Redew Hand Held Steamer $69.95

I use my spray bottles (I have 4) to wet my hair when styling, to refresh my hair and add moisture, to reactivate product on my hair so many uses and they are super cheap. I get mine from Sally’s or Target.

Spray Bottle

A wide tooth comb is essential for natural hair to detangle, if the teeth are too close together it will cause breakage, split ends and it will probably hurt if you have thick hair like I me (I am very tender headed). A lot of natural hair purist finger detangle only (I am not about that life) tried it and it didn’t work for me. Remember when detangling your hair to start from the ends up, be gentle and take your time.

Wide Tooth Comb

I always do my hair in sections, cleansing my hair I divide my hair into 7 or 8 sections and use the clips to secure each section, when styling my hair I also divide my hair in sections it saves time and keeps my hair detangled. Clips are super inexpensive and I purchase them from Sally’s.

Hair Clips

I rarely put my hair in a pony tail or in a bun but when I do these are gentle on the hair, since they are smooth no snags. I also use hair ties to stretch my hair (natural hair shrinks). I purchased these from Sephora they were under $1 for a ten pack.

Ribbon Hair Ties

The DevaCurl microfiber towel is perfect for curly hair; the towel is super absorbent you can plop your hair (wrapping your hair in a towel to absorb excess water and product) cuts drying time in half for me. The microfiber won’t snag or rough up your hair which causes frizz. The towel is huge if fits all of my hair and there is a loop attached so you can wrap your hair in the towel and it will stay put. I purchased mine from http://www.ulta.com or you can purchase it from http://www.devacurl.com

Deva Towel $20

Cotton will absorb all of the moisture from your hair its important to sleep on a satin pillow case, use a satin scarf and or satin bonnet. I use all three. I will tie my hair up with a satin scarf and put my bonnet on top while sleeping on my satin pillow case; that may seem excessive but if one comes off (which does happen) I have an extra layer of protection. The scarf and bonnet will help preserve your style as well.

Satin Scarf

Satin Bonnet

Are there things that are apart of your routine that you can’t live without? Do you have a hair care routine?

1. Janice Davis
    May 31, 2017 / 7:40 am

In transition from the perm to natural…. back to my Roots…..It is real….

May 31, 2017 / 9:47 am

Good for you Janice! I’m here to help please let me know if you have any questions!

2. Jermain
    May 31, 2017 / 9:01 am

I love the fact that a lot of woman are realizing the potential damage perms does to you and your hair.

May 31, 2017 / 9:46 am

Thanks for weighing in Jermain and Welcome! Hair is a very personal thing I think you have to do what feels right to you permed or nautural. For me initially my returning to my natural hair was all about saving money and my precious time (spending a whole day in the salon). My hair was healthy even while relaxed just wanted something different. Now I can’t see myself ever ever returning to relaxers!

3. June 1, 2017 / 12:19 am

So, I will have to look in to that steamer!! My children are swimmers and the detangling process for my girls can be so tedious. Oooh, I have a love-hate relationship with that pool and their hair. Love, love, love natural hair, but the pool–it’s something else! LOL

June 1, 2017 / 8:38 am

Stacie the steamer is a game changer! It will cut your detangling time drastically plus add moisture, cuts down on breakage while detangling. Worth the investment! Do you keep the girls hair twisted while they swim? Wet their hair completely before they get in the pool and saturate their hair with conditioner this will lessen the amount of chlorine that the hair absorbs.

4. Kai
    June 1, 2017 / 10:56 pm

Hi Karen
    When you use hair ties to stretch are you using “banding” method? If so do you do it on dry hair?

June 2, 2017 / 10:40 am

Hi Kai,
      Not exactly. I put my hair in 6 to 8 ribbon ties that create little afro puffs on dry hair put on my bonnet and go to sleep. Only when I am wearing my hair in a Wash in go. Only when my hair is completely dry. The next morning I just take the ties out and fluff and go. This process helps elongate my hair. I don’t this all the time but if I want big hair while wearing a wash n go that’s my process. Doing this creates lots of volume and less curl definition. Hope that makes sense.
      Thanks for stopping by! Please subscribe!

• CurleyKai
        June 5, 2017 / 8:47 pm

Thanks Karen, yes that makes sense 🙂 So far my wash and go attempts have been a “wash and NO” LOL!

• CurleyKai
          June 5, 2017 / 8:59 pm

My go to is a Braid n Curl or Twist n Curl. I co-wash or wash (by section) with Garnier Whole Blends shampoo concentrating on the scalp followed by the conditioner, then Oil (mix of almond, castor and Lavender for dry scalp) on scalp and Shea Decadence Cocoa Frappuccino leave-in Conditioner, and braid n curl. I had tried this in the past and liked it, but now after a year of trying other things including old faithful Shea Moisture…. I really see a huge difference in how soft my hair is and shiny using the Shea Decadence. I also used the Shea Decadence Deep Conditioning Repair custard without sitting with cap and heat (rushing) and hair cuticles smooth down and soft and shiny. I just ordered more. will try to do the deep conditioning correctly this time. 🙂

June 6, 2017 / 8:27 pm

Hi Kia sounds like you have a great routine and go to styles that work for you. When I am sick of the wash n go I will do a twist out and I love it until I remember I have to retwist every night lol. Deep conditioning is a game changer I deep condition weekly I have to or my hair will be very dry and won’t hold a style.

June 6, 2017 / 8:24 pm

Kai my wash and goes used to be a disaster too. I have learned what works for me though. I will be doing a blog post on my routine soon.

• CurleyKai
            June 7, 2017 / 8:50 am

That would be great, post on your routine.

I mostly where it up poofy on top Pineapply LOL, so I can get away with not BnC or TnC again for 3-4 days.

June 7, 2017 / 8:54 am

Yeah when I were a chunky twist out I have to retwist or its all frizzy. If the twist are small and I do a twist out I can just put a bonnet on and fluff and go in the morning. But I rarely do tiny twist.