Weigh Wednesday #3

Well, one thing I have learned your metabolism slows way down after 50! I have added some weight training and other forms of exercise besides running to reignite my metabolism.  My girlfriend a former personal trainer,  suggested that I work the large muscle groups 2 to 3 times per week  slowly increasing  the weight and number of reps. She also said I should go slow and that I would have to work much harder than I did when I was younger to get the weight off. In my mind, I  thought I would lose the weight in about 3 months, my new realistic goal is to hit goal by  September (my birthday month.  I have never experienced  stubborn weight loss once I got going the weight would fall off pretty quickly but the last time I lost weight was 4 years ago. My plan is to keep the weight off this time by portion control, eating whole foods and exercising daily.

Have you seen any changes to your metabolism as you’ve gotten older? What keeps you motivated when the weight isn’t budging or is moving at a snail’s pace? Who is your cheerleader? I am struggling please share your tips and tricks in the comments. Tomorrow is a new day! No excuses! Can’t Stop Won’t Stop!

WIW #3

1. Tracey
    April 5, 2017 / 9:26 pm

And don’t forget that muscle weighs more than fat, so don’t get discouraged if it looks like you’re gaining when you know you’re working out like a beast! My FitBit and FitBit friends hold me accountable and I like a little competition.

April 5, 2017 / 9:31 pm

Thanks Tracey! I was really bummed this morning when I got on that scale! I can’t go back to gaining and losing it is too hard! Yes the accountability is key for me as well that’s why I am letting the world see my weight!

• Tracey
        April 5, 2017 / 9:45 pm

I know, it’s enough to make you want to eat some Ben & Jerry’s! Don’t do it! 🙂 You’ll be pleasantly surprised next week. Let’s go hard and see what awaits on Wednesday!

April 6, 2017 / 8:33 am

Girl!!!! I am determined no turning back! I know that I am not alone and many of you guys have the same struggles we can do this ladies! Yes ma’am going hard thank you for sharing your journey as well!

April 5, 2017 / 10:08 pm

Yes I’ve seen changes in my metabolism years ago, I’m 55 so I know the feeling. What I did is made sure I was consistent with my exercising and I changed my eating habits. I also included the weight training and I saw the changes in my body. I did gain weight but I could see my body getting toned. Muscle weighs more so like Tracys said don’t get depressed just keep moving. My cheerleaders are the BGR ladies and my children.

April 6, 2017 / 8:41 am

I have to keep telling myself that I was a coach potato for awhile and I am not 20 or even 30 so my body has changed and it won’t happen over night. My husband is by far my biggest cheerleader and he is so encouraging! Thanks for sharing your journey!

3. Theresa
    April 5, 2017 / 11:03 pm

I have definitely seen a change in my metabolism. I’m 44 and about 4 years ago I did Insanity with Shaun T and was probably in the best shape of my life. But, because of poor choices, I have gained just about all the weight back. I am working back towards being motivated myself. My current motivation is that I’m starting to have health issues that I know are directly related to my weight gain. All the funds I am spending on medication and “therapy” could probably be easily solved with getting more mobile. Honestly, my motivation is listening to others’ testimonies, passion and drive like you 🙂

April 6, 2017 / 8:43 am

Hi Theresa! Welcome to our little community! You will get there again and we are all here to cheer you on! Thank you for your kind words I am glad my struggle is helping someone else along their journey! Keep moving one day at a time!

4. Kristy Dutton
    April 5, 2017 / 11:19 pm

Hey girl!!!! YES….the struggle is real. I lost a bunch of weight about 3 1/2 years ago and actually got too thin (atleast in my face). I’ve put back on about 15 and want to lose 10 of it!! I started spinning pretty consistently at the end of last year and packed on the muscle and the pounds. I tried not to let the scale bother me because I thought I would lose inches. Unfortunately my jeans just got tighter. I’ve started doing more weight training with body pump and will incorporate Piyo with it as well as walking. I also started on a low carb diet to see if we can get this train moving faster. I feel your pain. It’s super frustrating when you feel like you’re working yourself to death and get no results!! I’ll be your cheerleader, girl!!! Hang in there!!

April 6, 2017 / 8:48 am

Hey Kristy! Welcome to our community! Girl that was me 4 years ago loss a lot of weight and got busy and gradually put back on a lot of the weight. My body has changed drastically even in those 4 years. Now I know I have to work harder than I did then and once I reach my goal weight to maintain it! Thank you for your transparency we will cheer each other own as well as the rest of ladies. I hope you have checked out the other articles on the blog. If you like what you see please subscribe. Keep us posted with your progress.

5. Janice Davis
    April 5, 2017 / 11:59 pm

My enemy is consistency… I have to increase my How bad do you want IT!!!!!!

April 6, 2017 / 8:50 am

GIRL! That was me just a few short months ago. Now I am in it no turning back. Figure out your why. Why do you want to get fit? Then let that be your motivation. We are all here for you! You can do it just get moving do something you will get there.

6. April 6, 2017 / 12:53 pm

Just know that making good choices and exercising is a great start! And like someone said, muscle weighs more than fat. If you feel and look great don’t worry about the scale! Everything changed for me after having three kids and turning 40! I think a mixture of excersises helps my metabolism. But I did learn that as long as I do something like a walk, a run or an excersise class it all helps and I always feel so much better after I get out and do something for me! Just keep up the good work!

April 6, 2017 / 8:11 pm

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for your input. I like what you said about doing something every day just getting moving.