Preparing For My First 5k

I am 50 years old and out of shape! I am about 25 pounds heavier than I was 4 years ago when my husband and I committed ourselves to getting fit, physically, mentally, and spiritually.  We had already transitioned into eating cleaner and healthier (consuming mostly organic, less processed foods, and cutting back on sugars). We were in the Bod for God weight loss program and we lost a combined 120 lbs (I lost almost 40 and my husband over 80 lbs)! We were working out regularly and eating right.

Within the last year and a half, we both became very busy at work and went to the gym less and less until we weren’t really going anymore. We ate out more and…well, you know how this ends: we gained a lot of the weight back! I can’t speak for my husband but I was soooo unmotivated about exercising and even eating better and I gradually fell into a rut. My job can be very stressful at times and the last thing I wanted to do was to exercise when I got home or even get up earlier (I am already up at the crack of dark); completely unmotivated.

My blog and this post is the beginning of public accountability to get back in shape physically, mentally and spiritually.  I like variety in my workouts or I will get bored! My aunt is my inspiration to run (she is 55 and fabulous, post about her is coming soon). She started running 3 years ago with Black Girls Run, an organization aimed at not only getting black women of all ages in shape, but creating a sister hood and community of encouragement and accountability with chapters all over the country.  I decided I wanted to run too (I ran track in high school more than 30 years ago).  BGR has a Walk B4U Run program that started yesterday (February 13th).  Its a gradual program to get you ready for your first 5k. I am super excited about it! Unfortunately I have an awful stomach bug so I couldn’t walk yesterday.  Still not feeling great but I am going to walk this evening and cannot wait to start running!

I will chronicle my fitness journey here with weekly weigh in’s, what I ate for the week, and my exercise journey, so why don’t we take it together?! What are you fitness goals? Do you have a workout buddy? An accountability partner? Leave any tips or tricks or even your struggles in the comments. We can encourage and cheer one another along as we get our sexy back!

1. Kim
    March 3, 2017 / 6:23 am

I too have regained my weight and am committed to getting it back off. I’m going to restart a regimen for running with plans for a 5k and possibly 10k later this year. Very thankful for all my accountability partners helping me stay on track. Go Karen go!

March 3, 2017 / 9:39 am

Hey Kim! The struggle is real honey! We can do this! This is a safe place to share our struggles and then celebrate as we over come them. Thanks for your support!

March 3, 2017 / 6:54 am

My fitness goal is eating less sugar, this is a real struggle for me. I started again for the umpteen time on the first of March. Trying to cut out the sweets everyday. The 1st of March was great but yesterday wasn’t so great. I told myself oh you can start over again. Lol! So my goal is to take it one day at a time. When I fall I get back up and start over. Again this struggle is real but I can win as long as I don’t give up. Wining is not giving up! Thanks Karen for your inspiring blog! Preserve the sexy! BTW BGR is an awesome group to help you preseve your sexy! Love you my Niecy! Blessings on your 1st 5k!

March 3, 2017 / 9:36 am

Thanks so much for sharing your fitness goals and your encouraging words! This the point of this blog a community of women encouraging and cheering one another on! Love you too!

3. LaShawn Toomer Hill
    March 3, 2017 / 10:50 am

Amazing how it seems that turning 50 is so pivotal! I love walking, cycling, playing tennis and golf, and doing any outside activity (except running, unless it’s from an animal), so I consider myself very active. However, I got this bug about a month ago to do a little running. I’m now consistently running 1 mile each morning in my subdivision and it feels so good. Let’s keep this up!!!

March 3, 2017 / 11:33 pm

I totally agree with 50 being pivotal! Good for your LaShawn I am not quite there with the running but I am getting there and I am loving it!